086 - 94 Main St 1971

This item is active and ready to use
086 - 94 Main St 1971
086 - 94 Main St 1971
086 - 94 Main St 1971
Geolocation data
88 Main St, Addingham, Ilkley LS29 0NS, UK (53°56′40″N, 1°53′9″W)
Item details
iBase ID
086 - 94 Main St 1971
  • Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (default - see footer)
88 - 94 Main Street form part of a longer row of south facing terrace properties. 88 and 90 were built in 1748 with 92 and 94 possibly built around 1790.
The houses are important as the earliest of many buildings in Addingham erected for the Cockshott family of entrepreneurs. John Cockshott (1706-1785) was a grocer who then began a series of enterprises in the cotton and wool industries, mostly to do with hand-loom weaving. The Cockshott family were instrumental in building, amongst other things, the Piece Hall, the Large Loom shop on Chapel Street, The Rookery and Low Mill.
To the west the row originally extended to the corner of Chapel Street, but part of it was demolished when 84 and 86 were rebuilt as a 3 storey block, with two shops on the ground floor (latterly 84 was a grocers and 86 was Lloyds Bank).
The only 18th Century features that remain are the plinth courses and two doorways.
At the rear of the properties there is evidence of a series of taking-in doors, originally with projecting beams and pulleys to allow goods to be hoisted to first floor level.
Communicating doors connected 88, 90, and 92 at first floor level.
No. 90 retained several fittings characteristic of Victorian times such as an iron fireplace and an iron kitchen range.
92 and 94 were combined as one house c.1990 which explains the removal of the front entrance of 94. They are now separated again but 94 still has no front door.
The buildings to the south side of Main Street were originally the garden belonging to number 88.

88 was occupied by Mr & Mrs Hudson from the late 1920s /30 until 1960. Pierce Electrical made it into a shop in the 1960s but it reverted to residential accommodation in the early 1970's
The modern door to the left of number 88 was the access to the living accommodation. The property was restored in 2018.
This item includes these files